12 December 2012

Holiday Traditions


As many of you know, I was born in Germany. My mother is German and my father is African American.  Well, I spent most of my childhood in the country, therefore we celebrated many of the traditions.
Every year, my mother got me an Advent calendar! It's a special calendar used to count down the days till Christmas!  The best ones--are filled with sweet German chocolate! 
Another big holiday tradition is our Christmas Pyramid. In German it’s called Weihnachtspyramide.  It looks like a Christmas pyramid, decked out in flowers and wooden figurines. It’s kind of like a carousel with several levels showing some sort of holiday theme!

As in many other European countries, on the eve of Dec. 6th children place a shoe or boot by the fireplace. At night, St. Nicholas goes from house to house carrying goodies to fill the shoes with. If you were bad, your shoes were filled with coal or sticks. My coworker filled my shoe up with my favorite goodies, Red Bull! 

What are you holiday traditions?


No comments:

Post a Comment