07 July 2014

German Americans-- Who to Root For?





The big question I was asked for the World Cup Game-- “Who are you rooting for- Germany or the United States?”


The game did provoke a sense of anxious among fans who would cheer for one team if they weren't cheering for the other.
Well- I was born in Germany, spent most of my childhood in Germany, born to a German mother, speak conversational Germany and I have dual citizenship.  To say the least, I have always been rooted in my German heritage.
I was the only one in my newsroom solely, constantly, and loudly rooting for Germany.   I even wore my German Colors & Flag on TV!
Constance Jones wearing her German Pin
Constance Jones in German Colors- Gold/Red/Black

The German/American complex extends to the teams!
U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann was a world-class striker in the Bundesliga and other European leagues in the 1990s, and helped lead the German national team to the World Cup championship.  There are also five German Americans on the US Team - Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, Timmy Chandler, John Brooks, and Julian Green.
Who are your rooting for in the World Cup Games?

No comments:

Post a Comment