How will you distinguish yourself among the competition? It’s a daily challenge for me. I work in one of the most aggressive news markets in the country, surrounded by dozens of amazing journalist! So, how do I stand out in the crowd?
1. Be Visible. Go to luncheons, dinners, galas and professional networking events. Don’t be afraid to attend a function alone. Make sure you have plenty of business cards to pass around.
2. Take Notes. When you meet someone, make sure you get their business card. Later, write notes on the back of the card so that you can remember the “small talk!” Do they have kids? Are they active in other organizations? What’s their social media links?
3. Follow Up. After meeting someone, make sure you send them a note to stay in touch. It can be as simple as a facebook message or an email. Try to schedule a lunch if possible.
4. Smile. Research shows that people who smile are perceived as being more intelligent than those who don’t.
5. Card via Snail Mail. Keep a supply of greeting cards on hand! Send cards for special occasions such as honors, jobs, thanks and birthdays. Everyone gets "a hundred messages" on facebook for their birthday. Rarely do people take the time to send a card.
6. Speak Publicly. This is a great way to brand yourself. Offering your speaking services to religious organizations, clubs or seminars.
What tips do you have to "Stand Out" from the crowd?