24 January 2013

Natural Curly Hair for TV?

Earlier this month, I saw ABC World News Now Anchor Sunny Hostin wearing her hair curly. She looked amazing!  It’s definitely not a look you typically see on television—especially network news!  Hostin is a fellow mixed chick with a Puerto Rican mother and an African American father!   
  For decades, curly haired women have consistently been told that straightening hair is a good move for their careers.  
I’ve been told that my curly hair can look unkept or unprofessional.  So, instead of wearing my hair natural—I press it out straight!
Curly Constance
Weekend Curls




TV Constance
 Which leads me to the question…. What’s wrong with curly/natural hair on television? Why don’t we see more women like Sunny wearing their hair natural?
 Of course, hair is a very touchy subject in the black community!  Rhonda Lee, a Louisiana meteorologist was recently fired for defending her natural hair to a viewer! Read more here. 
Rhonda Lee
As for me, I love my curly hair-- but with this South Florida humidity it only takes two minutes for my curls to frizz up.  Instead of looking like a broadcaster, I turn into Diana Ross!

 What do you think about curly hair on TV?





7 comments:

  1. I like curly hair. it so much more dynamic. I would say that if it is seen as unprofessional, that's only a current issue. Perms were popular in the late 70s and 80s and many reporters curled their hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Point!! :) I wish we lived back in the 70s and 80s!! :)

      Delete
  2. Besides her voice, wasn't it her big curly hair that people loved and still love best about Diana Ross? I think that as more curly haired women began to make noise about being discriminated against or being forced fit in a mold we see more stations taking chances at letting women wear their natural hair on tv. And with viewers starting to unite and take a stand with this women I believe that change will happen sooner than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's looks great. You look very pretty with your curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand. I am just starting my career as an on air reporter and I find myself constantly straightening my hair to go on camera. It has become such a chore! I love my curly hair and I try to wear my curls on the weekends to give them a break from the heat. Recently, a co-worker suggested I try a keratin treatment or get a perm so I would not have to worry about constantly blow drying and flat ironing my hair. I refused! I've never used chemicals in my hair nor felt the need to do so. You've been a reporter for ten years now, have you ever worn it curly on camera?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curly please. It is always better to go natural as long as the hair has a good style cut by a great curly hairstylist! ( that knows what they are doing)

    ReplyDelete